I made a paleo version of this Indian dish and it was a huge success at our house. Loved all the flavors! It seems like there’s a lot of ingredients but it’s mainly spices.
Chicken and Cauliflower Rice Biryani with Tomato Raita
Author: Elisabeth Michaels
Serves: 6 servings
- Chicken Biryani
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of ginger, grated using a microplane
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon of cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
- 3 chicken breast, cooked and cubed
- 1½ teaspoon or more salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup of shredded carrots
- 1 cup of shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup peas (optional)
- 1 recipe of cauliflower rice
- ½ cup of sour cream or greek yogurt or non-dairy alternative
- 1 small tomato, diced
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, grated using a microplane
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, grated using a microplane
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews, dry toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. When hot, add cumin, bay leaves and clove and cook for a minute or until fragrant. Add sliced onion and a pinch of salt and cook for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is golden.
- Add the ground spices and mix in, cook for half a minute. Add chicken, ½ teaspoon salt, garlic powder, veggies and mix in. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the veggies are al dente.
- If using peas add them here and cook for a minute.
- Remove the bay leaf when it's ready.
- Tomato Raita
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, this sauce is amazing so you can easily double it. Taste adjust salt if needed. Garnish with chopped tomatoes, a dash of cumin and cayenne.
- Serve the chicken biryani with cauliflower rice and raita.